Get “Top Notch Ready”
Being truly ready on move day is the single most effective way of controlling the cost of your move. Use packing as an opportunity to organize your belongings and eliminate items you no longer need to move so there will be fewer items to move.
- Taping boxes: Tape the bottoms and tops of all boxes with packing tape, not masking or duct tape.
- Full boxes are better: Fill boxes completely to eliminate cave-ins. Do not have items protruding from top or sides of box.
- Drawers: Empty all dresser drawers and leave drawers in. This is the safest way to structurally protect your furniture.
- Labeling: Label boxes on top and sides with a dark marker. For instance, MBR for master bedroom, LR for living room, etc.
- Box size:
Small boxes (1.5 cubic feet): dense items like books, canned goods, documents, CD's and DVD's
Medium boxes (3.1 cubic feet): dishes, cookware, and small appliances (like a coffee maker or toaster)
Large boxes (4.5 cubic feet): light items like linens, lamps/shades, small and medium sized pictures, and pillows
- Dishes: Bubble wrap is recommended for dishes and glassware as it provides most protection.
- Frames: Pack all framed pictures smaller than 15’x13’ in boxes with bubble wrap.
- Do not pack: Do not pack flammable items (such as aerosol cans, lighter fluid, or gas/propane tanks). Do not pack open liquids (like household cleaners, paint, and toiletries).
Move Day Hints
- Prepare a bag of personal items that you will need for the night and day of move.
- Keep in your possession all keys, checkbook, and documents needed.
- Unplug and remove contents of all appliances, including disconnecting gas or water lines.
- Reserve parking for our truck at both locations.
- Reserve elevator if necessary.
- Create a floor plan of your new home.
- Transport live plants in your own vehicle.
- Place labels on items that are NOT to be moved.
Some items may be better suited to move in your vehicle, but our staff will be glad to load and unload your car for you.